Friday, July 6, 2012

Favorite Paintings from the Museo Thyssen

As some of you may know I am staying in Madrid right now. I came here thinking nothing could beat Barcelona, but let me tell you, the Thyssen Museum that I visited 2 days ago...it's amazing. But I still love Barcelona ;)

Anyways, I visited the infamous Museo Del Prado a couple of days ago and was impressed by the huge beautiful building! The paintings...meh, not so much. They were amazing, but just not my thing... So I decided to visit the Thyssen Museum the next day. I spent 3.5 hours drooling over simply amazing paintings, there were so many that I fell in love with! I kind of want to save up millions of dollars and go and buy all of them :p And I know the Hopper exhibition is going on in the museum right now, but I just was so exhausted and I didn't feel like going... Oh well.

So, I thought it would be a fun idea to share with you guys some of my favorite paintings from the Museum, since I haven't seen anyone do anything like this before :) The paintings are listed in random order, since I loved them all equally!

This was painted in 1963 by Roy Lichtenstein and it's called "Woman In Bath". I absolutely love the vibrant colors and the retro, comic strip style of this! Wish I could hang this in my bathroom...Oh well, you never know :p


This is...more on the wild side. Painted by Gino Severing in 1913-1914, called "Expansion of Light (Centrifugal and Sentripetal). I love the vibrant colors (again)! I feel like this is something that would be hanging in my Grandma's hallway but maybe that's why I love it.


This is the first painting I fell in love with in the Thyssen. Called "Waterloo Bridge" and painted by André Derain in 1906. The vibrant colors (hence a pattern there yet?) just get your attention instantly and the quick little brush strokes look very unique. LOVE.


Paradise much? This was painted by Frederic Edwin Church in 1856 and is called "South American Landscape". Makes you want to hop on that plane to Brazil, doesn't it? This is just...ahhh...I'm sorry if the quality of the picture isn't that good, couldn't find a better one! I just wish you could come to the actual museum and see the actual painting! It's so. Gorgeous. It's amazing how talented some people are...unlike me :p


"Beach Scene" by Winslow Homer, 1896. First of all, I love the girl's dress -- I would so wear it! Layers, bows, red, white, and navy -- pretty much my dream dress! I also adore the happy, summer vibe that this painting goes off -- so appropriate for this season! Whenever I look at this it just makes me smile :)


Last, but definitely not least, painted by Eduard Gaertner in 1845 "A View of the Opera and Unter den Linden, Berlin". The sky in this painting is amazing!!! How gorgeous is that??? The thing I love most about this painting is the sky (no DUH) and the way Gaertner showed the building and the shadows from the rising/setting sun in so much detail. J'adore.


Anyways, this is it! Just a little disclaimer before I go: this is NOT some kind of expert review/critique. I am NOT an art smartie-person and have NO idea whatsoever about art and the different painters, I simply just found these pieces beautiful and wanted to share them with you guys!

xoxo,
Liz

masterpieces from here <3






No comments:

Post a Comment