Saturday, August 25, 2012

Back To School: Quick and Healthy Breakfast Ideas



Hey! A little warning - I just ordered a bunch of stuff from the Lilly Pulitzer summer sale so I'm in a super good mood ;D 

Anyways, I was making some homemade healthy granola earlier today and I just felt so inspired to do this blog post! This one will be all about quick and healthy breakfasts that you can easily whip up before heading out the door for school! 

Before I start - a little bit on breakfasts. Breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day - and it definitely is for me! A big breakfast should include a bunch of protein and whole grains to kick start your day. These meals are super quick to make and so deliciously healthy ;)

Whole Grain Toast, Yogurt and Granola, and a Glass of Milk This is pretty much what I eat every morning - it's so fast and delicious! I normally eat what I call "breakfast bread" as the whole grain toast (I'm pretty sure you can only get it at my local store, but it's just whole wheat bread with a bunch of dried fruits and nuts inside! So good!). And while the slice of bread is in the toaster I pour some Greek yogurt into a bowl and mix in some granola (mine is usually homemade - the bonus recipe is down below! - but sometimes I buy it). Then I pour myself a glass of low fat milk and by that time the toast is usually ready. This meal is very filling and will keep you full for at least a couple of hours :)

Egg, Oatmeal, and Water This one takes a little bit longer to prepare than the last breakfast idea, but it's still only a couple of minutes! If you make the oatmeal the night before it saves you a lot of time in the morning, too! All you want to do is just make some oatmeal the night before and put it in the fridge. In the morning - boil an egg (I like mine soft-boiled - 3 minutes) and put the oatmeal in a bowl. Add some honey, berries or protein powder to the oatmeal if you want to! It's very important to drink plenty of water, so just start in the morning ;)

Fruit and Berry Smoothie Smoothies are a very quick and easy options for breakfast because you can have them on the go! Just blend some berries of your choice, and some fruits maybe (I like a banana, some red currant, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries - and maybe some strawberries if we have any), plus some water, ice, or milk (you can also add protein powder if you want to). Then blend that all together in a blender, pour it in a tumbler (I call them sippy cups) and you're out the door! Quick and easy :)

*BONUS HOMEMADE GRANOLA RECIPE*
Heat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Mix 2 cups oats, 1 cup neatly chopped almonds, 1 cup coconut flakes, and 1/2 cup raisins. In a different bowl, mix 1/4 cup honey with 1/2 cup water, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix it all together and spread over baking paper. Put in the oven for 20 minutes. When done, mix in 1/2 cup flaxseed. ENJOY ;)

xoxo,
Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment