Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Travel Savvy: Packing


I've just finished packing my clothes for Spain and decided to type up this quick post (including some pictures of my suitcase and how I packed). I don't really feel like typing a lot right now, so I'll just get to the point of this ;)


Packing Tip #1: Know the weather.  This one doesn't need much explanation, you've gotta know what you're packing for! Just look up the weather for the time period you're going to spend in the certain place -- it'll only take you a couple of minutes and save you a ton of hassle and luggage space.


Packing Tip #2: Make A List. I love making lists for a reason -- they can help you so much! Just make a list of the things you think you'll need for your trip (including the number of things). The number of clothing items as well as the clothing items themselves that you pack will differ, depending on the time you spend in the certain place. For example, if I'm going to Spain for a month and I plan to swim, hike, and walk around the city, my list will look somewhat like this:

  • 10-13 t-shirts
  • 2 pairs of jeans
  • 3-4 pairs of shorts
  • 3-4 skirts
  • 2-3 dresses
  • 2-3 swimsuit cover-ups
  • 2 pajamas
  • 2-3 cardigans/sweaters
  • 2 pairs of socks
  • 2 pairs of tennis shoes
  • 1-2 pairs of flip-flops
  • 1 pair of flats
  • 3-4 bikinis
  • 1-2 hats
  • *underwear*

Packing Tip #3: Fold. Or roll. Or fold. When it comes to the actual packing process I prefer to fold my clothes. Everyone says how it saves space and time to roll your clothes but, honestly, it never worked for me, so I just fold them -- that way they don't wrinkle and are neatly packed away. I like to lay out all of my clothes that I'm taking on my bed first, then fold them, then pack them away.


Packing Tip #4: Categorize. When you arrange your clothes in your suitcase according to the purpose of the clothing, it is much more comfortable and convenient to unpack when you get to your destination. For example, if you have all of you tops in one stack, all of your bottoms and dresses in another stack, and all of your sweaters/scarfs in a third stack it will be much (and I mean much) easier to unpack or quickly find a clothing piece if needed.


Packing Tip #5: Leave your carry-on...empty. Okay. I'm just gonna put this out there. I love shopping. And, yes, I shop. A lot. So whenever I go somewhere I need extra space in my suitcase and preferably in my carry-on. As you can see by the picture my carry-on is practically empty. Well, on the way back, I can assure you, it will be jam-packed full. So if you're a girl who loves shopping (like moi) make sure to have tons of extra space.

xoxo,
Liz

pics from here ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment