Sunday, September 30, 2012

How To Stay Awake After School (+My After-School Schedule)


A couple of days ago one of my best friends posted a picture on Instagram with a caption on how she was so tired when she got home from school and needed tips on staying awake after school hours. I couldn't really help her then, but after doing a bit of research and some thinking I came up with a few tips and tricks on how to stay awake after school. Also, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to share my after-school schedule with those of you who were wondering!

I guess I'll just write out my after-school schedule first, and then share the tips, just to avoid any further confusion :)

15:30-17: 45 -> School ends at 3:30 for me, and I usually stay at school 'till 5:45 because of Drama or any other activities that I'm doing after school. If I'm feeling down and really tired I'll grab a latté and some fruit as an after-school snack to keep the energy flowin'.

17:45-18:30 -> During this period of time I am usually driving home from school (the traffic is unbearable!). While driving home I usually check my e-mail (from my phone), Facebook, and Instagram. This helps me just get done with all of that, so I don't have to waste time on social networking at home.

18:30-18:45 -> Right when I get home I change into some yoga shorts/yoga pants and a VS PINK sweatshirt (they are so warm!). I have to wear a school uniform while in school, so I love changing back into some comfy clothes in the evening. I'm all about comfort, so I find that wearing comfy warm clothes helps me study. Next, I take everything I need out of my school bag (usually that's my MacBookPro along with the charger, my planner, and the notebooks/textbooks that I needed home that night) and set everything up on my desk (or bed :P).

18:45-22:00 -> This is when I study/do homework. Now, I've developed a special "method" that helps me do homework/study. I work for 15 minutes, and then give myself a 5-minute break every 15 minutes. During that 5-minute break I usually watch some YouTube, have a potty break, stretch, and get myself comfortable. I find that this method helps me concentrate more, but also gives me some free time, so I don't just do my homework while watching YouTube or listening to music (like I used to).

22:00-22:20 -> I workout every other day after school, and I don't really want to go to bed all smelly and dirty (ew). So I take a shower or a relaxing bath before bed every other evening. Plus, shaving and washing my hair before bed saves me tons of time in the shower the next morning! I still shower in the morning everyday (don't worry), though!

22:20-23:00 -> I try to read before bed every night, but by ten PM I'm usually pretty exhausted (I wake up at 5 AM every morning), but I still try. Lately, I've been under a ton of stress and haven't really read anything except school books for the past week, but I'm definitely catching up on my reading this weekend (I finished "Matched" and started reading "The Great Gatsby" - LOVE IT!).

Now on to the actual tips.

My number one tip would be do not - by any means - eat chocolate while studying. It will make you very hyper at first, which isn't helpful when you're trying to concentrate, but then you will crash. Crash and fall miserably. And you won't be able to do anything except sleep for the rest of the evening. Not good.

Another helpful tip is to have a nice, nutritious snack before studying - no carbs, no sugar... Just some fruit and nuts, or some greek yogurt... Just keep it healthy! And don't forget to keep yourself hydrated = drink plenty of water!

Also, when you get home - don't just feel bad for yourself and watch TV - actually start studying right away! That way, the little amount of energy that you have from the day will be targeted towards studying, not towards TV or computer. Oh, and if it helps you to take a nap - go ahead and do it! - just be sure to make it short and sweet (40 minutes max.!). I never take naps after school, because whenever I do I just end up snoozing the alarm 'till forever and sleeping until the next morning -.-

Anyways, hope you girls enjoyed! Much love!

xoxo,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment