Friday, November 15, 2013

Winter 2013 Must-Haves (Fashion)

It might seem a little early for this, but I'm already seeing YouTube videos on how to decorate your room for Christmas, so I'm not the only one. Fashion is one of my favorite things in the world, and winter is pretty much my favorite seasons - could it get any better?

Today I decided to share this year's winter fashion must-haves with you all! These are *obviously* essential items that I have to have in my closet during the holiday/winter season. I live in a very cold, wintery climate, so the items below will probably be different for you (and every other person), but these are my personal favorites and some things that I think you'll like.


bell hat
So Blair Waldorf! When I see this hat I just think of a fashionable, chic New Yorker, taking a stroll on a gray winter morning in Central Park. Of course, the Hermés one (shown here) is not my essential - I own two from Target, and that's it - but if you love this and want to go out and get it, more power to you!

plaid headband
A headband is an essential for every girl - no matter what hair length, hair color, etc. You never know when you'll be having a bad hair day and you'll need to put your bangs up/put your hair in a bun! Better safe than sorry, so on casual days I like to dress my outfit up by adding a cute, preppy headband. Besides, plaid/tartan is all the rage right now, and so winter-appropriate!

infinity scarf
Honestly, infinity scarves are the only ones that I ever wear. They can look casual, but you can also dress an outfit up with one! A cream-colored one looks so cozy and cuddly - I can just see myself in leggings, fuzzy socks, a knit sweater, and this scarf, curled up in a big armchair by the fireplace.

button-up
A must-have for any time of the year, I just couldn't leave the classic button-up off this list. You could wear this with virtually anything, anyhow, anywhere, any time. I love wearing these with sweaters and statement necklaces in the fall and winter seasons!

silk PJ top
This has been a love/hate item for many people this season. It's one of those trends when you can't decide whether you like it and want to rock it or hate it and want people to start wearing PJs in public... I am one of those people who despises pajamas in public. Seriously, those are for your personal time. It's like wearing lingerie to a business meeting! However, if you wear a nice silk pajama top (I really want a monogrammed one!) with dressier bottoms, I totally think you can make this trend work.

leather pleated skirt
Preppy with an edge never looked so good. Leather has been super "in" this fall/winter season, and I love incorporating trendy elements into classic designs, so this couldn't be more perfect. The pleats are very flattering on most figures/body types and the shiny leather is just asking for a double-take! ;)

pavé link bracelet
If you're looking for an attention-grabbing statement bauble - this is your treasure. You can wear it so many ways - alone, stacked with arm candy, with a dress, with casual wear, any way you wish! For the holiday season I especially like to pair this with simple, classic jewelry - like pearls - for a timeless, cute look.

Hunter rain boots
As I've mentioned many times before, the winter weather is very harsh in Moscow - it rains, it hails, it snows, and anything in between. Ever seen slush/rain/snow falling from the sky, freezing electricity wires and trees? Not fun. But Hunter boots help me through that and more ;) I'd recommend getting a simple, versatile color if you live somewhere where there isn't as much precipitation (black, navy, red, or hunter green are classics), but bright colors (pink, turquoise, yellow, etc.) are fun when you live somewhere that gets lots of rain or snow or if you have multiple pairs of shoes made for similar weather conditions.

 winter Hunter socks
These go along with the mentioned above - if you mostly wear Hunters a lot in the fall/spring season when it rains a lot, but you don't really need warmth, then don't bother getting a pair of "special socks". However, if you like to wear rain boots (Hunter rain boots, that is) when it's snowing outside and you do need the extra heat - these socks are sure to keep you warm and cute (they come in tons of different patterns and colors)!

L.L. Bean 8" Duck boots
A winter classic, a preppy essential...the duck boot. I like to call these my "bulldog boots" - they're so ugly it's cute! Wearing these with thick, wool socks is one of the best feelings in the winter-time - it's like walking on a heated carpet in fuzzy socks. Plus, these are sure to get you through snow piles or yucky puddles.

 Pixie Pants
I absolutely feel the need to include these in almost every single one of my "must-haves" lists, simply because they are my ultimate must-have. In fact, I'm wearing a pair right now. I could write a book about these (a big, thick one, full of inspiring ideas and thought-provoking insights), a symphony, a song - pixie pants are just that amazing. Any season, any occasion, any height, any age level (well, okay, almost any), navy, black, grey, leather, with leather tuxedo stripes - the choice is yours! If you don't own a pair - YOU ARE MISSING OUT.

red cardigan
Who doesn't love a pop of color on a cloudy, dark winter morning? I know I do! Lately, I've been wearing a lot of neutrals, so a bright cardigan really gets me going. There aren't many better ways to make your outfit more festive/bright/preppy than by adding a red cardigan, so jump at the opportunity if you can!

 Patagonia fleece
Oh, the Patagonia fleece. They come in all shapes, colors, and sizes, and everyone loves them. They're very similar to the Vineyard Vines Shep Shirts, but much warmer and, to me, cozier. Fleece sweaters give you this private-school-casual-preppy-person vibe that I LOVE (because that's basically me). I'm asking for one this Christmas and you better be too ;)

What are some of your winter must-have clothing items? Let me know in the comments below along with any other suggestions or questions!

xoxo,
Liz

1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz, hope you are well. Thanks for sharing a awesome list for winter fashion. Do you have any own closet? If yes, then it's really good. If no, then you can visit the Boutiqueken.

    ReplyDelete