Monday, September 16, 2013

Dress + Boots

Fall is already here where I live, but I know it's still pretty warm in other parts of the U.S. (and the world). However, the cold and rainy weather doesn't stop me from wearing dresses and boots almost every day. Yes, I said it (actually, wrote it). Dresses and boots. 

I decided to make a blog post about this topic because, believe it or not, it's a pretty touchy subject. Certain dresses won't ever match up with some boots and vice versa. The only pair of equestrian-looking boots (that aren't actually used for horseback riding) are these Tory Burch leather boots. I've talked about them many times before, and honestly, I don't even think of getting new ones anytime soon - these are more than enough!

Moving on to the actual outfits, when I put these together I had different temperature/weather situations in mind. As you can probably guess by just glancing at the first outfit, it's meant for colder weather. A forest green cashmere dress has been on my shopping list for weeks now (still can't find the perfect one) and, I mean, who doesn't like walking around in a big fuzzy blanket that keeps you warm (and that actually looks good!)? Another thing worth mentioning - if you're wearing a certain shade of black/brown/any color, be sure to match everything else in that color (in your outfit) to that exact shade. As you can see, the bag (so cute!) perfectly matches the color of the boots and vice versa. 

:: boots :: dress :: bag :: earrings ::

This one (obviously) is meant for warmer weather, but you can make it work on a colder day by adding a cardigan/sweater/jacket, etc. The vintage Chanel bag looks gorgeous with this any outfit and the maroon accessories help transform this outfit from summer to fall. The Frye boots don't scream HORSES as much as the Tory Burch ones (above) do, so it makes the whole outfit a little more laid back and casual.

:: earrings :: bracelet :: bag :: boots :: dress ::

So, what is the perfect formula for wearing dresses and boots together (and actually looking acceptable)? Well, there really is no perfect formula, but this is what I try to do (of course, it's different for everyone, just my opinion and what works for me):

  1. don't wear boots that look too equestrian people always ask me where my horse is when I wear boots + leggings
  2. make sure the hem of the dress is above the knee to avoid looking like a 40-year old mom (no offense, mom)
  3. always coordinate shades of black/brown to any other accessory so you don't look like a 50 shades of brown color swatch

What do you guys think about boots and dresses? Yay or nay?

xoxo,
Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment